Friday, October 17, 2014

The OBB: Austria's National Rail Network


Waiting at Salzburg's main station for my train to Zurich, Switzerland

In case you're wondering, OBB stands for Österreichische Bundesbahnen, which simply means Austrian National Railways in German. I booked an overnight coach class seat on the OBB Euro Night Train's Vienna-Zurich line for my journey from Salzburg, Austria to Zurich, Switzerland - the last stop of my German-speaking countries tour. It was also like a combined ride/hotel arrangement - the train was my hotel for the night.

Late October was relatively low season, so within my designated car I was able to find an entire 6-person enclosure occupied only by one other passenger. Then we both reclined a couple of facing seats and stretched ourselves out to a good night's sleep between two countries.

For more information on Austria-Switzerland rail travel, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment